||WebHart purchased by ViaNet.
I assisted in the technical transition from the Novell-based WebHart
systems to ViaNet's Linux/Unix servers while continuing my previous duties with WebHart.
|March 2000- February 2003
||Phone technical support and Linux server system setup and
maintenance at WebHart Internet.
Server system duties include:
Technical support duties include:
- Maintenance and configuration of four Linux machines
supporting all DNS, outgoing mail, and virtual domain hosting
- Providing email and occasional phone support for the virtual hosting services
- Watching for potential problems on the Novell servers.
- Occasional handling of cash
- Guiding customers through Windows internet configuration and Windows internet connection
- Answering general questions about both the services
offered and the company
||Truss assembler at Superior Roof Truss in Gloucester.|
||Member of Deep River's Public Works student crew.|
||Volunteer technical support person for ethernet connections in
residence at Carleton University.|
||Member and crew chief of lighting and sound crew for Childs
Auditorium in Mackenzie High School. Duties included setup and
operation of lighting and sound systems for theatrical productions
and town meetings. Responsible for billings of groups renting the
facility from outside the school.|
- Strong understanding of Linux systems, primarily the RedHat
distribution. Working knowledge of Unix-type systems in general.
- Familiarity with Windows 95/98/NT as both a workstation and server
- Over 20 years of programming experience, from TI99/4A BASIC to C++ for
- In-depth understanding of Turbo Pascal and C/C++ and related
languages (Perl, PHP), familiarity with several BASIC variants from TI99 console
to MS Visual Basic, working knowledge of COBOL, Java, and x86 assembler.
||Computer Programmer degree program, Algonquin College, Pembroke.|
Completed in Spring 2001.
||Electrical Engineering at Carleton University|
||Graduated from Mackenzie High School in Deep River (OAC)|
PREFERRED WORK LOCATIONS
Canadian job positions only; Ontario preferred. Positions closer to Ottawa strongly
AWARDS AND HONOURS
||Bursary from the Royal Canadian Legion
Scholarship from Carleton University
Renfrew County Technical Certificate and Technical Medallion
||Bronze medal, Ottawa Science and Engineering Olympics (Styrofoam Boat
||Highest standing in TGJ 4A0 (Grade 12 Electronics)|
PERSONAL INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES
- Linux/*nix and Windows NT systems administration and networking. I
co-maintained a Linux server/firewall with a 4-computer LAN on ADSL
between fall 1998 and fall 1999. I currently maintain my own private
LAN running a combination of Windows 95/98/NT workstations and a Linux
server capable of both dialup and high-speed firewall/NAT services. I
also do occasional maintenance on a similar system
on cable modem.
- I was involved in the Carleton Student Engineering Society's
Project as a documentation maintainer. I was also involved in the
shared effort with Corel to port Red Hat Linux to the NetWinder
- Animation and 3D graphics using computer tools.
- Writing small utility applications for DOS and Windows, primarily in
- Audio electronics: primarily analog and digital audio processing. I
have designed and built my own speakers, and I am currently design
testing for an amplifier and mixing board.
- Woodworking: large and small projects, carving. I built a cabinet for a
component stereo system.
- Reading: science fiction/fact, fantasy, occasional non-fiction.
Cover letter, References, and transcript available upon request
Last update Sunday, 17-Oct-2004 18:06:41 EDT